Climate Writing Awards

What are the Climate Writing Awards?
From March 24th through April 7th, 2023, Write the World invites young writers ages 13 to 19 to submit their pieces in response to three climate writing prompts on writetheworld.org: Climate Flash Fiction, Climate Poetry, and Climate Advocacy Letter Writing. 

How are Awards different from other Write the World Competitions?
Any piece young writers submit in response to the climate prompts will be considered to win. Since there are also no expert reviews,  we encourage our community to provide peer reviews and feedback for one another.

What is the prize for these awards?
All published responses will be considered to win a Climate Award and a $300 prize in each category.

When will the winners be announced?
Winners will be announced on Earth Day, April 22nd, 2023!

Our Partners

Thank you to Seventh Generation for generously sponsoring the Climate Writing Awards. For over thirty years, Seventh Generation has been on a mission to transform the world into a healthy, sustainable, and equitable place for the next seven generations—and beyond.

We're also proud to partner with the Worldwide Teach-in on Climate and Justice on this Climate Awards initiative.
Climate Writing Awards - site image

Climate Awards Judge

Untitled design (57)Alexandria Villaseñor

At the age of 13, Alexandria began a lone climate strike in solidarity with the Fridays for Future movement in front of the United Nations Headquarters, a weekly strike that lasted over 2 years, while also co-founding the U.S. Youth Climate Strike Movement of 2019.

Now, at the age of 17 and a high school Junior, Alexandria has become an internationally recognized environmental activist, public speaker and author featured in the anthology of women climate leaders, All We Can Save. She addressed the 2020 Democratic National Convention, the United Nations, NATO and the World Economic Forum. She has attended COP25 in Madrid, COP26 in Glasgow and COP27 in Egypt. She was a child petitioner for the ground-breaking international complaint to the United Nations, Children vs. Climate Crisisand is the youngest Junior Fellow of the World Academy of Arts and Sciences. Alexandria sits on many Youth Advisory Boards including the U.S. based environmental policy think tank Evergreen Action, the American Lung Association and IKEA Corporation. Alexandria has been honored by Seventeen Magazine as one of their “Young Voices of the Year” and by Marie Claire Magazine and as “Environmental Changemaker”. Alexandria has been featured in The Washington Post, The New York Times and The New Yorker, and and has written op-eds that have been published in The Guardian and Teen Vogue. For her work, Alexandria has received the Earth Day Network Youth Leadership Award, the Rachel Carson Environmental Justice Award, the Common Good American Spirit Changemakers Award and was included in Politico’s top 100 people influential in climate change policy list.

Writing Prompts

Young writers: sign-up or log in to view the prompt and start writing!

Poetry
Poetry about climate change has the ability to inspire, activate, connect, “speak truth to power,” and so much more. Perhaps your poem will draw attention to climate change’s threat, bear witness to change, spark emotion, and inspire through connection.

Flash Fiction
Cli-fi (climate fiction) allows us to inspire change through our words. Pen your own cli-fi story in 500 words or less. What climate-related conflict will drive your plot?

Letter Writing
Join young people around the world telling leaders how and why we need climate action now. In a letter of  400 words or less, tell a political leader, legislator—or even your school principal—why their focus on climate is vital to our planet and to your future. 

Climate Awards are Complete!
Sign up for free to join our Write the World community and hear the latest news, submit more writing, and find out about upcoming events.

donate-cta-image-web

Donate Now