Announcements

• Last chance to enter our Writers on Earth Competition which closes TODAY, December 6! Enter now here.
    about 8 hours ago
  • The Earthshot Prizes are being handed out! Tune in to watch the ceremony on PBS.org at 2 pm EST, or on the PBS YouTube channel starting at 8 p.m EST TODAY, December 5th. You can find a list of some other viewing options here. It will be a star-studded event: presenters include The Princess of Wales, Rami Malek, Catherine O’Hara, and Shailene Woodley, and there will be featured performances from Annie Lennox, Billie Eilish and FINNEAS, Chloe x Halle, and Ellie Goulding. More importantly, five winners will receive The Earthshot Prize – with a big cash prize! – to support their work on climate change solutions.

Speaking of prizes, our Writers on Earth Competition -- inspired by Earthshot -- closes TOMORROW, December 6, and encourages you to write a letter in just 400 words to your nation's leader explaining the importance of protecting our natural world. Don't miss out on this chance to submit your writing and have your voice heard! Enter here.
    1 day ago
  • Hi dear writers! As you continue to work on your excellent submissions to the Writers on Earth Competition, we want to remind you that it’s important to be cautious when sharing any amount of personal information on the internet. 

For safety and privacy reasons, the version of the letter that you publish on Write the World should NOT contain: your last name, school name, home address, or any form of contact information (phone number, email address, social media). You MAY include: your first name (or pseudonym), age/grade, city, state, and country. 

If you’ve already published a version that includes personal information, we ask that you please revise the piece and republish. Should you end up sending a copy of the letter to your nation’s leader (which we hope you do!), you can add these personal details back in. 
    4 days ago
  • This week's Wednesday Words pick is 'Leeuwenhoek's microscope' by jacklyle (US), exploring the beauty and excitement of seeing previously hidden things through a microscope. This piece was a response to our prompt "The Fib", which encouraged writers to create a poem whilst using the Fibonacci sequence to dictate the number of syllables in each line. Read it here!
    6 days ago
  • The expert review deadline for our Writers on Earth Competition is November 28! Be one of the first 50 people to submit a draft of your entry by the deadline and you will receive feedback from one of our Expert Reviewers -- a team of authors, writing teachers and educational professionals. Expert reviews can help you to expand your ideas and improve your writing so that you can be ready to submit to the competition by December 6. Find out more and submit here!
    10 days ago