All writing published for Film/TV Series Review Competition 2021. See Competition

Published writing

3

mir (United States) published:

A World of One's Own: A Review of Moonrise Kingdom

PROMPT: Film/TV Series Review Competition 2021

Writer and director Wes Anderson’s singular style utilizes a blend of highly detailed production design, uncanny camera movements, and candid characters. Anderson’s style perfectly highlights the themes of his 2012 movie “Moonrise Kingdom.”

The film is set in the 1960s on the small, fictional New England island of New Penzance. Suzy Bishop (Kara Hayward) lives with her dysfunctional parents (Bill Murray, Frances McDormand) and three younger brothers, and Sam Shakusky (Jared Gilman) is an orphan spending the summer at Khaki...

Seeking Peer Reviews

9 months ago

1

Seifalla Elgamal (Egypt) published:

Brooklyn 99 and why season 8 went downhill

Write the world:
                                                                  How to present world issues in a natural way
                                                                                In media
    As young writers, we are encouraged to learn more and more writing practices and avoid mistakes: Such as lacking character development, subtext, natural dialogue, and more. However, there is a skill one must learn if you are planning to add real-life political/social issues to your story. If you are able to do this correctly, you will further enhance your writing and more people will be...

10 months ago

1

Seifalla Elgamal (Egypt) published:

Write the world:
                                                                                In media

10 months ago

1

Carmen Marcela Toader (Romania) published:

"Loveless" or how the lack of love makes monsters

Children need to have a welcoming home, but how would you react if you found out that you were just an unsatisfactory result of a failed marriage? Andrei Zvyagintsev tells this harrowing story of an abhorred, unwanted child and always offended by his parents, who will forthwith divorce. The director was also attentive to the cast, bringing before our eyes some very talented actors, such as Maryana Spivak (Zhenya), Alexey...

Seeking Peer Reviews

10 months ago

1

Seeking Peer Reviews

10 months ago

TillyH17 (United Kingdom) published:

'Fighting' for equality- The Art of Self-Defense review

'Her being a woman will prevent her from ever becoming a man.' Who knew a film centred around karate would carry such prevalent messages about misogyny and toxic masculinity?

The 2019 black comedy and thriller 'The Art of Self- Defense' stars Jesse Eisenburg as the titular Casey who is, what can only be described as, a ball of nerves and awkwardness. This twisted tale sees a weak man, Casey, who...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

1

Kylie Stone (United States) published:

What is Glee

What is Glee 
    Have you ever been stuck in a spot where you felt like no matter what, there was no way to fit in? Maybe you wanted to change, you wanted to hide, maybe you just wanted to leave; but, you couldn’t. 
Well, there is a solution, Glee. The show and Netflix series Glee, it is a Tv Comedic drama, based off of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

3

Writing4Life (Australia) published:

Hamilton: The Revolution in This Century

Several years ago, a hip-hop musical about the life of an unknown founding father seemed a bit ridiculous.
Nowadays, we shake our heads and laugh at our naivety. Because, in January of 2015, Hamilton took the world by storm.
Not long after Hamiltontook to the stage, the word began spreading. People in countries halfway across the world grew to know the name Hamilton. Tickets became an allusive Golden Ticket to be revered and hoarded all over the state (and...

about 1 year ago

3

Saba (Egypt) published:

Is Outer Banks worth the watch?

Is Outer Banks worth the watch?
By: Saba Elmosalami
If you are into adventure and mystery then Outer Banks is for you! The Outerbanks crew have made this show unbelievably amazing and I am so thankful I was able to watch it. Outerbanks is truly one of the best TV shows to ever exist on Netflix. Jonas Pate who is the director of Outerbanks has done an amazing job directing it. Also, the main actors which include Madelyn Cline, Chase...

about 1 year ago

3

Saba (Egypt) published:

Is Outer Banks worth the watch?

Is Outer Banks worth the watch?
By: Saba Elmosalami

about 1 year ago

Omaryacout (Egypt) published:

Peaky Blinders

Peaky Blinders 
Season 4
By: Omar Yacout Section 3

“By order of the Peaky Blinders” this line is the most iconic line in the entire show and one of the main characters says that line after a fight. When Peaky Blinders dropped, it was in the top ten rankings, and the show is a Netflix original show, and now it is currently watched by more than 7 million people and most have said the show is fantastic. Peaky Blinders is...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

Omaryacout (Egypt) published:

Peaky Blinders

Peaky Blinders 
Season 4
By: Omar Yacout Section 3

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

OmarElzeiny (Egypt) published:

Shang-Chi- The best Movie Ever

Shang-Chi, The Best Movie Ever

What do you think about unrealistic action movies? Personally I really like them. This movie is called Chang Shi and the legend of 10 rings. It's a marvel action movie about the son of the mandarin, Shang-chi. The director of the movie is Destin Daniel Cretter and he's an amazing director with many great short movies directed like The glass castle. The lead actor of Shang-chi is Simu Liu, who is shang-chi. Another main character...

about 1 year ago

OmarElzeiny (Egypt) published:

Shang-Chi- The best Movie Ever

Shang-Chi, The Best Movie Ever

about 1 year ago

OmarElzeiny (Egypt) published:

Shang-Chi- The best Movie Ever

Shang-Chi, The Best Movie Ever

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

OmarElzeiny (Egypt) published:

Shang-Chi- The best Movie Ever

Shang-Chi, The Best Movie Ever

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

PaulaPaulaPaulaPaula (Brazil) published:

La casa de cartas (with spoilers of the fifth season of Money Heist)

Money Heist is a Spanish series created by Álex Pina that has its ending (season 5 – B) scheduled to get out December 3rd of 2021. It’s an action and romance mix told by the impulsive  Tokio (Úrsula Corbero) that follows the story of a gang of criminals united by Professor (Álvaro Morte), a man with a brain that is constantly three steps ahead of the police, to commit an almost unbelievable crime: steal 2.400.000.000 euros from Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre and later on, with the objective of gaining commotion to save Rio (Miguel Herran), one of the thieves from the first heist who was being subjected to torture by the State, to get inside Banco de España’s most protected safe — keeper of gold and state secrets. 

The great thing about the first two seasons of Money Heist is: you want to know what’s coming. Professor usually have a plan that works for most scenarios, but the real hook is right after the impressive trick, when they show the public how it was all done. To know exactly what the criminals did and how it was all planned in advance — normally using scenes that recall a school class, with a camera angle intimately low, looking up at Professor like one would look at a teacher —  gives the audience some sense of proximity to the crime, closely from the one of an accomplice. You know their drama, their problems, what went wrong, what went right, they invite you in on their heist, they become friends, you like them, and, therefore, they look more like a dozen of Robin Hoods than thieves stealing millions. It's what differs the series from others, why people from all over got glued to their sits until the very last episode, it was a relatable yet really distant from reality experience, that ended with a satisfactory storyline, cohesive characters and hope (in the form of an Italian song, a red jumper and a Dali’s mask). So, if the series were that great, what is the problem? 

To give a little context, Money Heist was predicted to end in its second season, after being cancelled for low audience by Antena 3, the Spanish network that produced it, but, after all the success the series did on the platform, Netflix decided to renovate it — which gave the production a bigger budget to work with, as mentioned in the documentary released alongside the fourth season, “Money Heist: the Phenomenon” (2020). So since the third season La Casa de Papel have all the privileges that a big Netflix show can afford, with the writers being granted some extravagant wishes, which, maybe, can make the show get a little over the top just because now they have the means to do so. In the latest three seasons we have seen many more action scenes, greatly produced and filmed, but not always all that relevant or even making sense to the plot although we see them more than ever. One of the biggest examples of this got to be the destruction of the replica of Banco de España’s museum (a great work by Abdón Alcañiz), they made every piece knowing it would break and the take is amazing, the problem comes right after that, when Palermo tries to relax Helsinque, that is trapped after the explosion, and acts completely different from his personality, after a great action scene like that it looks like the dialogue fell a little on the priority’s list. 
Money Heist is na unpredictable franchise. Like a house of cards, is impressive, but is always followed by the feeling that it’ll fall with one soft blow. The writers themselves don’t know what will happen much in advance, like told in the documentary previously mentioned, they write the scenes as closely from the recording as they can, and, sometimes, that generates some holes that maybe could be solved with a little more reviewing, like almost everything with Palermo. I get the feeling that the writers may have lost the notion that the gang has only been inside Banco de España for less than five days, not enough to change entire personalities. I don’t understand why they made Palermo give a speech about minorities after making him such a sexist person, again, though this heist has been recorded for three years, only about 100 hours have passed, if they wanted to make such changes I wonder why they didn’t choose to make it in a bigger time frame, because, unlike the first two, the most recent seasons have being almost repeating themselves over and over again, making all that happen in five days is a little difficult to assemble. The police try to get in; they fail, Arturo tries something to sabotage the criminals; he fails, someone on the heist messes up; they fight, Professor gets in danger; he manages to get away. Is like a loop that the script is following for a little while now, is action, action, action, without the mind that held the series so well in the beginning, and the fact that Professor spent most of the time in the last season as Alicia’s prisoner definitely doesn’t help us to understand what is going on. 
It bothers me that Tokio and Rio had a cute scene during her last minutes when they talked so little since he got back. I got such a Rose and Jack from Titanic (1997)  vibe in there that I complained about it all week. Could Jack have fitted in that door? I guess we’ll never know. Could Rio have opened a hole big enough for Tokio runaway? I don’t know, they didn’t even try. 
To sum it, I got more interested in Berlin’s son storyline than in the main one, which is probably a problem, but, overall, it is a nice and almost consensus series in all seasons, but I really want the finale to bring more of the meticulous explaining that the first ones had. 

about 1 year ago

TonyG (Egypt) published:

British Mafia

The widely known Netflix series Peaky Blinders rated an 8.8 out of ten on IMDb, is one of the best shows ever. It talks about how an English mafia rules their town Birmingham, betting on horse races, and finally making deals with other mafias. Tommy Shelby (Cillian Murphy), is one of the three main brothers in the Peaky Blinders, along with Arther Shelby (Paul Anderson), and John Shelby (Joe Cole). This show has been running since 2013 and still going...

about 1 year ago

TonyG (Egypt) published:

British Mafia

about 1 year ago

Jana Abdelwahab (Egypt) published:

Avengers: Infinity War review

Avengers Infinity war will leave you shocked. The movie itself was insane! The movie is a literal rollercoaster of emotions. Trust me when I tell you even if you were the coldest person on earth you will feel a lot of emotions while watching the movie. Especially the scene that shocked all of us when it said “you should've gone for the head”. If not all then most all of the MCU characters and actors are in this movie. From...

about 1 year ago

2

Youssef Hassan (Egypt) published:

sweet tooth

Sweet Tooth
Youssef Hassan section 3 

Sweet tooth had many different feelings, I personally like the show and enjoyed the swings of emotions. I'd say it's a good family show to watch with your family or friends, as the suspense and action has a better effect with people watching it with you. 

The story all started off fine, just like any other story, then there's this new virus spreading all over the world, leading to a big pandemic...

about 1 year ago

1

Moustafa El Shishtawy (Egypt) published:

Shawshank Redemption

If you had spent most of your life in prison would you still have hope and persevere to return to the world? The drama movie Shawshank Redemptionreleased in 1994, directed by Frank Darabont, explores this question. The protagonist of the movie Andy Dufresne, played by Tim Robbins, is a successful banker that has been wrongfully accused of the murder of his wife and her lover. Consequently, he’s sent to Shawshank prison, in which Andy is exposed to the monstrosities...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

1

Farah Ahmed (Egypt) published:

Annie

Annie
The new Annie is being tossed around Critic's Row like an unwanted orphan. Annie is a musical/comedy movie directed by Will Gluck and takes place in New York. The stars are Jamie Foxx, Cameron Diaz, and Quvenzhane Wallis. If the title sounds familiar you have probably seen an earlier version of this movie as this 2014 rendition is a remake of the original Hollywood Annie originally released in 1977 and 1982. 
This movie talks about Annie and how she...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

1

Farah Ahmed (Egypt) published:

Annie

Annie
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 1 year ago

Adham Zyada (Egypt) published:

Write The World Outer Banks Season 1 Review

Introduction:
              Have you ever heard of the Royal Merchant Ship Treasure, well this is the main thing that Outer Banks show is about. Outer Banks is a netflix originals show that is directed by Jonas Pate and has a really big team acting including Chase Strokes, Madeline Cline, Madison Bailey, and Jonathan Daviss. This show has a genre of teen tv shows, teen dramas, and basically actions, and adventures. These types of shows are very exciting and make...

about 1 year ago