Tracy's Tiger

Full Details

Do you ever feel like there’s something that you can see, feel, or sense, but others can’t? In William Saroyan’s novel Tracy’s Tiger, he tells the story of a man who has a tiger that only he can see but, one day, everybody else can see it too:

Tracy strolled on, the tiger beside him. He was astonished to find that all of the people on his side of the street were moving swiftly to the other side of the street and saw people standing there, crowds of them, looking at them, some of them through cameras.
    In all innocence Tracy decided to go across the street to find out what all the excitement was about, but when he stepped down from the curb to go, the people across the street began to run, some of them shouting, and a number of women screaming. 
    Tracy turned and looked at the tiger again. 
    Well, he’d had the tiger beside him most of his life, but never before had anything like this happened. Never before had anybody else seen the tiger.
    Was it possible now that the tiger was actually being seen by others, by everybody?

For this prompt, tell a story where your main character can see, smell, hear, taste, or feel something that others can’t, but then one day, they can. How do they react? What does this mean for your character? Why did they lose the exclusive ability to sense it?

In need of for now unseen inspiration? Read these pieces from Community Ambassador Alums Eblinn and Yellow Sweater!