Anne Blackwood

United States

18
Christian
Autistic, ADHD
Poet
Singer
Theatre kid
Twin
Disabled (chronically ill, neurodivergent)
XXFJ-T, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Message from Writer

Mom to FantasyOtter12, lochnessie, mindfruit, Rohan's Defender, (unofficially) rat in a hat, & all
Sis to happy butterfly
birthdaycandles & happygiggles are my apple juice Jesus sisters
(Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy)

I don't have the energy to read as much as I used to, but I check my notifs, so drop by n chat whenever.

Pfp is a picrew of me

"you can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy"
~ Nightbirde

"my thoughts cry in verse"
~ traitor.o.us (poem) by Anne Blackwood

"i streak the atmosphere with ink."
~ graffiti-streaked poetry (poem) by Paisley Blue

Anxiety must-reads:
https://bit.ly/2YUyome
https://bit.ly/2TsNYSa
And pray. That's the only reason I'm more free now.

Tone indicators! | An informational piece (please read to better communicate on the internet)

February 24, 2021

FREE WRITING

21

Hey guys! I'm here to break down a handy little thing called tone indicators. A little context first. Everyone knows that it can be hard to understand what people are saying when they're on the internet. Text on a screen doesn't always convey emotion very well. People have tried to solve this issue with the use of emojis, capitalization, and things of the sort. One extremely useful tool is tone indicators.
    Tone indicators are a little addition to a sentence, message, comment (etc) that indicate the tone that the previous text is trying to convey (it's almost like that's what their name says! lol). Some commonly used tone indicators are:
  • "/lh" --> light-hearted
  • "/p" --> platonic
  • "/srs" --> serious
  • "g" --> genuine
  • "s" --> sarcastic
  • "j" --> joking
  • "hj" --> half-joking
    Now, you may be thinking I've never had much trouble understanding people, even on the internet. I don't need to use these dumb things. However, please hear me out. Many autistic people have expressed how incredibly helpful tone indicators are for them. Autistic people can have trouble understanding the subtleties in conversation. When we use tone indicators, it makes it much easier for them. I do not have a diagnosis of autism, but I actually find myself experiencing similar confusion, and tone indicators have made it a lot easier for me to communicate effectively.
    To sum it all up, the internet is hard, especially for autistic people, and tone indicators can help all of us understand each other with much less hassle. Please add them to comments, footnotes, and other spaces on the internet when your text is less than straightforward. Thank you! I love you all!
Phew! That wasn't very easy to write. I don't think explaining stuff like this is my strong suit. /lh /g
Autistic people: please please PLEASE tell me if I've said something rude or inaccurate here. /srs /nervous

Print

See History

Login or Signup to provide a comment.

34 Comments
  • Paisley Blue

/g i just realized how helpful this actually is for me! i thought it was cool when i first came across it, but then my friend used one and i can confidently say if they hadn't i would have misinterpreted the message. thanks so much for these!! :)

over 1 year ago
  • happygiggles

"g" This is such a wonderful piece Anne, thank you so much for writing this! I personally have never heard of tone indicators before, so this is such an insightful and educational piece for me! I have learnt loads from this and look forward to involving tone indicators in comments now! (:

over 1 year ago
  • In Which Yaya Writes

Huh, I have never heard of these! /g I might start using these. hj /hsrs (is that allowed?) Very informative! You did great! /g
    Also, your Message... Ahahahahahaha! That part about Kristof made me LOL /g.
    Replying: Yeah, that song was amazing and I’m glad you still got to enter it! I was wondering [since your song was amazing /g] if you have any advice for song-writing? I asked Rohan’s Defender because she’s been writing some songs, but I think I’ll ask some more people. I started a chorus for a song called “To the Choirmaster” (like the end of a prayer meant for singing). Would you mind reading it?
    “To the Choirmaster, with clapping hands and singing hearts.
    To the Choirmaster, with stomping feet and swaying hips.
    To the Choirmaster, let’s all sing this so joyously.”
    Yeah, I practically have nothing. Your song was really good so I was wondering if you have a process or something for writing it? Thanks so much!

over 1 year ago
  • deep_breaths

re: aw thank you

over 1 year ago
  • _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: Thanks for the assurance Anne :)

over 1 year ago
  • (sk)eyesofocher

re: well welcome... TO THE CULT!

over 1 year ago
  • Coeur

re: Thank you very much for your praise! I actually ended up liking it more than I thought when I started writing it. Since I based it on your work, would you mind if I decided to turn it in to contests or anything? Also very informational piece! This is a good solution to that awkwardness that happens over texting and stuff... /g

over 1 year ago
  • ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

re: yeah thats a good idea

over 1 year ago
  • ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

anne
    anne
    Anne anne Anne Anne Anne
    I got it
    The secret?
    JACOB HOUSTON has been copying and pasting comments
    I read his comment on a piece that said something like "this is incredible, I am in awe" and then launched into about checking out a song he wrote
    the crappy piece I wrote bout my computer shutting down?
    same comment was there
    it was not an astonishing piece at all.
    and his comments do seem very repetitive

over 1 year ago
  • Dmoral

BUBBLE WRAP YOUR TWIN JOINED WTW
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    *giggles*

def gonna check out his pieces when i get a chance ;)

over 1 year ago
  • (sk)eyesofocher

Re: most certainly! I have lots of gluten-free everything. Welcome to my cult, Anne!

over 1 year ago
  • Stone of Jade

aww your comment made me blush. that means so much. i love that line so so much ideky
    yes hahaha it is my birthday! thank youu <3

over 1 year ago
  • Writing4Life

Re: Thanks! And np! *stares wonderingly into the sunset* Why yes it twould.

over 1 year ago
  • ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

re: god, I meant sitch, as in situation
    whoops
    nah idk sports man

over 1 year ago
  • pyrrhic

yes, this is very important! it can be helpful, even if you are really good at reading tone through the internet, and it helps clear up any possible misunderstandings! /g

over 1 year ago
  • Deleted User

Re: <3

over 1 year ago
  • Ibex

Re: just keep prioritizing your mental health. i don't know if you've seen any of the new stuff, but it's just really not necessary to take a look at. i don't have that kind of self control, so i definitely admire you on this one.

over 1 year ago
  • Deleted User

Re: aw, thank you so much! That’s so cool! Have a great night!

over 1 year ago
  • Renegade_Writer [ChildOfGod]

Hey would you like to join my unofficial Christian writers group? Just add the tag [ChildOfGod] to your username or bio and you're in! God bless!

over 1 year ago
  • Ibex

This was actually pretty awesome to see these used in context. Nice.
    And sending smiles your way :D :D :D with the fiasco from last night continuing

over 1 year ago
  • Minvra

I can see why it's difficult. When I was first online, I often had to reference from other's comments. People have a different set of humor from me. /g

over 1 year ago
  • ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

re: I get what you mean, but its not defeat, more like leaving the pitch alone, lol

over 1 year ago
  • (sk)eyesofocher

I didn't know of these--but I know several people that this would help--so thank you so much! I'll try to use them as much as I can!

over 1 year ago
  • FantasyOtter12

Re: xD glad you liked it :D

over 1 year ago
  • lady lantsov

re: thank you so much! yes, in that piece there were a few lines that could've been unclear, so i thought, why not try the tone indicators? very useful.

over 1 year ago
  • doodleninja

ah i've heard of these before, but never actually knew what some of them were. thx for compiling a few into this piece! :)

over 1 year ago
  • nolongeractive

Re: Ok!

over 1 year ago
  • ghostybois

Thank you for this piece! I find these very useful, and I'm glad more people are using them

over 1 year ago
  • ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

re: haha, Alex is a pretty common name :P

over 1 year ago
  • lady lantsov

i've not heard of these, but what a superb and helpful idea! as this circulates more, i have a feeling we'll be seeing more tone indicators. because no one likes awkward confusion. thanks for writing this, anne!

over 1 year ago
  • _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: Thanks :) Hopefully it gets better

over 1 year ago
  • Writing4Life

Re: Aw tysm! It is lol

over 1 year ago
  • _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: No problem my friend! Also, I've been targeted lately (I wrote a couple pieces on it actually, it's been rough) and it's not your fault!

over 1 year ago