anni10

Canada

14
she/her
Prefers fictional worlds to reality.

Message to Readers

Any feedback is appreciated.

love, the moon

August 15, 2022

My darling Earth, 

I have ceased to rest, kept awake by an infinite number of if onlys. If only inertia and gravity would let us touch. If only life didn't run through your veins like poison. If only the Sun hadn't cursed you to be forever in her orbit. If only time was our power and not our prison. If only, if only, if only. They haunt me feverishly. When I beg sleep to drag me into the cool dark place of denial and blissful ignorance, the if onlys growl inside of me. Beasts, hungry for a reality where they are true. 

You told me to learn how to move on. First, I asked Jupiter for advice and he told me to let the anger of the end rage. Storms would blind me of my hurt and numb me to the point of not feeling. I wasn't quite sure if I was ready for my love to turn to hate, so I wrote to Saturn. She told me that a wound like love does not heal. But I am not quite sure I could deal with such pain. Uranus told me to let the tears run cold, until they froze and dropped like stones, never to return. None of these answers were to my satisfaction, so I sent to Pluto. Naturally, I was surprised when I received his answer. He hasn't responded to Mercury's letters in years, and he doesn't even keep in contact with Neptune. Nonetheless, he told me to forget. Pluto has suffered much pain, and is without a doubt, the wisest of us all. But how could I forget you, my darling Earth? I couldn't. Millenia could pass without you there, but I promise you I could never forget.

My heart breaks, to stand there and watch you die. Once I imagined a life for us. We were vagabonds travelling the galaxy. Glowing like ichor, the stars would see us as Gods. In my fantasies we are immortal. Living for everything and forever. 

Now, I imagine a life where your cries are replaced with laughter, and your pain with joy. I want to feel your embrace, not be tethered to these heliacal constraints. I don't need you to live, I need you to survive. I will forget about my childish dreams of eternities and immortality if it means you could have more time. If it means we could have more time. 

I swear, darling, I will not give up. I will never give up. I will wish upon every star in this universe until you are rid of this sickness and we can live in slowmotion. 

Love, 

the Moon
I tried this piece many different ways but nothing felt right. I still feel as though it needs some fine tuning. 

Print

See History

Login or Signup to provide a comment.

11 Comments
  • Qi

This is simply beautiful!

about 1 month ago
  • Jesssyam

mesmerised :)

about 2 months ago
  • darling_bean

I absolutely love this!!!!

about 2 months ago
  • Blank Notebook

I read an older version of this and loved it! It's great to see some refinements- it's a great piece, I hope you can make it work for you. :)

about 2 months ago
  • mnesic writer

Oh my gosh this is so beautiful

2 months ago
  • Mirub Khalid

such an irresistible read!

2 months ago
  • Avacado

This is amazing!

2 months ago
  • Rain

I love this piece more so than mine. There are no words, no praise, no description, my lungs are as empty as space... This piece is too good for my mere mortal eyes.

However, if you are in search for that "fine tuning" which I am already sure you do not need m'lady, you may read my humble take on this fine prompt. :D

https://writetheworld.org/groups/1/shared/296108/version/638874

Yours sincerely, The Tuxedo Boy. ;)

2 months ago
  • magpies in may

Breathtaking

2 months ago
  • when_breaks_the_dawn_light

Sheer genius! :)

2 months ago
  • kentuckygirl

Oh my gosh, can i just say i love this? It’s beautiful and sad and moody

2 months ago