Dragonfly

Germany

she/they
I love writing, singing, reading, crafting, drawing, hiking, cats, nature and a lot of other stuff. I also am interested in sciences.
Currently trying to figure out what to do with my life...

Message from Writer

Hello, I'm glad you're here :)
I hope you enjoy reading my work, if not: constructive criticism is very appreciated!

Favorite books:
LotR - Tolkien (and all other books by him)
Pride and Prejudice - Austen
We Hunt the Flame - Faizal
Good Omens - Pratchett/Gaiman
and many others :)
Recommendations for good books are very welcome!

If you want a peer review just let me know, I will be glad to provide you with one!
Thank you for stopping by and have a nice day/night :)

Softly Me in Loud Places

November 23, 2022

Loud is the music ejected from the speakers somewhere hidden in the crowd. Loud are the glares interrupting the dim light in tune with the music and stabbing through my eyes into my thoughts. Loud are the voices woven into endless conversations about things I know nothing of or am too doubtful, too reserved, too tired to think about. Loud, louder than anything else, is my mind explaining to me like to a child that I should not have come in the first place if I wish to avoid human interaction.

I know that blame is undeserved. I tried as I have before and I might try again. I squeeze through the dancing crowd, wave goodbye to the one person I know and flee outside.

Softly I turn my key in the lock of our front door. Softly I close it behind me. Softly I feel my way to my room as my other senses are muted by the previous overexcitement. Softly tears fall as I sink onto my bed and wonder why I am different and wonder why I mind.

Softly my phone pings “I hope you got home safely? I hope you forgive me for dragging you along to the party? I hope you can join us for a movie night next week?”.
Softly my mouth curls to a smile.

Print

See History
  • November 23, 2022 - 8:04pm (Now Viewing)

Login or Signup to provide a comment.

7 Comments
  • Braedyn08

Hello there! I have a few chapters of a novel if you'd like to review them. :)

1 day ago
  • Extrasweet

This is so sweet, Malin! I love how you've ended the piece with a text and how it makes 'I' feel. The way that you've constructed this piece is beautiful and I totally agree with Sophie, Windrunner, Tyler, and Erin! This piece is truly amazing. :)

9 days ago
  • Blank Notebook

Awesome work! You've manipulated the repeating words to create tension and anxiety in the first paragraph, but to slow the pace of reading and convey the contrasting quiet at the end of the story. Wonderful interpretation of the prompt. :)

11 days ago
  • typos, many of them

this is beautiful! i love the ending :)

12 days ago
  • Windrunner

I can TOTALLY relate to this!!!

12 days ago
  • sophie_simile

Also the title!! Amazing :)

13 days ago
  • sophie_simile

This is beautiful! I love how you used contrasting sets of repetition like loud and soft to describe an introvert's inner conflict (which i can 100% relate to). Truly brilliant!

13 days ago