Peer Review by Isha kinda writes (Nigeria)

Below, you'll see any text that was highlighted with comments from the reviewer.

Tap on comment to view. Using a mouse?

Hover over comments to view. On a touch device?

Out-of-date thinking

By: Extraordinary me

FREE WRITING

As you are a girl, you can't talk loudly.
As you are a girl, you can't laugh freely.
As you are a girl, you can't fight with anyone.
As you are a girl, you can't meet everyone.  

As you are a girl, always put smile on your face.
As you are a girl, always wear a veil over your face.
As you are a girl, always bear everything.
As you are a girl, always consider yourself as a servent.  

As you are a girl, you can't study higher.
As you are a girl, you can't be hyper.
As you are a girl, you can't play outside.
As you are a girl, you can't go on the ride.

Peer Review

I love the simplicity of this piece; the message is clear and it hits the reader really squarely in the chest.

I don’t think this piece needs to much. It’s an honest piece that tells the cold, hard truth about being a girl in some countries. People, school, ‘society’, family tell you to do this and that, because of ‘tradition’. But I don’t see how something is a tradition if it hurts half of the people the tradition belongs to. Being the person that I am, I’d love to see another piece about how you endure this and maybe even fight it. Because you can. I know how this feels, and you might think that fighting such a seeming insurmountable obstacle is impossible, but I believe that we can overcome anything. It’s been done before in fact, and you can do it too, maybe starting from small steps.

Reviewer Comments

I really liked this poem, mostly for the straightforward , but beautiful style, and the message it gives about the dehumanizing treatment of women. Sometimes we can’t decorate words, because there is no way to avoid the truth. The best we can do is say it as it is, like this writer has done rather well. Keep it up!