Upcoming

Poetry & Spoken Word Competition 2023 - Preview

POEM — Particles of life.

Poetry is eternal graffiti written in the heart of everyone. [i]
Poetry is the journal of a sea animal living on land, wanting to fly in the air. 
[ii]
Poetry is an act of peace. 
[iii]
Poetry is its own prayer. [iv]

“There is not a particle of life which does not bear poetry within it,” wrote Gustave Flaubert. Poetry is in the songs we sing, the trains we ride, the forests we wander. And, when we choose to look, we’ll find it residing within ourselves. “If we are looking for something which is new and something which is vital,” writes Audrey Lorde, “we must look first into the chaos within ourselves.” In this way, writing poetry requires a two-way magnifying glass. We must search inside ourselves in order to find a truth worthy of reflecting back to the world. This month, share with the world an original poem or piece of spoken word (poetry performed aloud). We’ll award two top prizes—one for a written poem, and one for a recorded performance.  

[i] Lawrence Ferlinghetti; [ii] Carl Sandburg; [iii] Pablo Neruda; [iv]Amanda Gorman

Competition Opens: Monday, April 3
Submit for Expert Review (**NOTE: cap of 50 submissions**): By Monday, April 10
Final Entries Due: Tuesday, April 18

Visit our Competitions Page beginning April 3 for more info on how to enter and writing guidelines.