gabimarie

United States

17
virgo
INFP-T
armystay
she/her/hers

Message from Writer

addicted to coffee and late night drives

probably screaming over bang chan's duality or jisung's cheeks honestly

also remember to stay hydrated, get enough sleep, and don't skip meals! :)

get to know me here at my book cover:
https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/220825/version/512967

chapter one of my completed book "a realistic love" is below:
https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/233964/version/496184

college admissions essay? (please review, this is so important to me!)

July 31, 2021

FREE WRITING

8
    I’m the only brunette in a family of blondes. It’s not something that’s particularly noticeable anymore, especially as my parents and siblings get older. But it’s always something that I’m constantly aware of. Adopted out of foster care at age six, I have noticed the differences between my family and me more than I would like to admit.
    There’s a general consensus that adoption is good, and every child who has adopted needs to feel happy and grateful at all times. I don’t exactly agree with that. 
    I felt abandoned by my birth mom. At times, I even viewed the adoption as my fault. If only I had been better. If only she had loved me more. I constantly blamed myself for not being good enough for my own mother. If I wasn’t wanted by my mom, who would want me? I tore down my self-esteem, looking instead for validation from external sources. I would change personalities around people to be well-liked, and all of this was by age 13.
    I isolated myself from the people around me, never allowing anyone to get too close. As someone who didn’t have someone they could to turn, I turned to writing and music for solicitude. The artist on the radio was the only person who understood me, and my notebook was the only person who would listen to what I had to say.
    The difficulty was that the only place I felt comfortable opening up in was my writing. I didn’t know how to talk to the people around me or even my parents. I had no idea how to be vulnerable with them. I could write every emotion down perfectly on a piece of paper, and even make it rhyme with six syllables in each line. But I could never talk to my parents.
    What’s interesting about my childhood and the person I am now is that so much has changed. If my twelve-year-old self saw me now, I can’t say that she’d be able to recognize me. I’ve got nine piercings and I’m really outspoken. I don’t change myself for others anymore, and I’m taking steps to move forward from my adoption. I am so much more open with my parents, and I’ve realized that they fought for me, and they wanted me. And, when it comes to family, that’s all that really matters. 
    A songwriter is putting their heart and soul into the words that they write. Meaning is packed behind every syllable, and every note is necessary to tell their story. I can’t say that I know what my journey will look like. I have no idea what the end of my story is. But I want to write the end of my story the way I want. I want to write a song at the end of my life and be proud of each note. I want to look in the mirror in ten years and see the girl from middle school, the girl from high school, and the girl from college, and be proud. 
    Why Tulane? Because I want to be myself. I’ve spent so long pretending to be who everyone wanted me to be, and I don’t want to be that fake person anymore. As much as I’ve changed in the past few years, I know I’ll grow even more, and I want to grow alongside people who will support me in every step. I know Tulane will help me grow into the person my parents can be proud of. Tulane will help me grow into someone who I can be proud of, and that’s all I can ask for.
hi loves! so, i'm a senior in high school, and my dream school is tulane university in the US. this is the rough rough draft of my admissions essay. if y'all could leave a review or just put some feedback in the comments, that would mean the WORLD to me, as i want this to be as perfect as possible before applying November first. have an amazing day <3

Login or Signup to provide a comment.

6 Comments
  • Deleted User

Wow, this is so heartfelt. I think you can feel the passion through this, and that’s a great way to help make it meaningful. I don’t know much about collage admissions essays, but if you need a review before November, let me know. :)
    How you doing?

over 1 year ago
  • The_Sunrise_Queen

I loved this. your emotions were so powerful and detailed.
    Honestly, I can't think of anything except one detail I'd recommend changing. I'd like to know why you changed. What made you change from that person you used to be to the person you are now? I'll read it over a few more times, because I really want to help, but you did a fantastic job with this piece!

over 1 year ago
  • NewPoet

Re: Thank you so much!!!!!!!! You have no idea how much that means to me!!!

over 1 year ago
  • ChimChim_Stray

Re: Aww, thanks! Ive been doing pretty well :3 But i do have one question about stray kids, and thats why did Woojin leav the group?

over 1 year ago
  • NewPoet

This is really amazing!!! I love how you included not just who you were and are, but also who you want to be. The story you tell shows who you are, and the things you’ve done to become this person. This in really incredible!!
    -Could you take a look at my Flash Fiction Competition entry?
    https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/245274/version/524505

over 1 year ago
  • sci-Fi

this is rlly good! i'll do a review (i helped my sis with her college essays recently)

over 1 year ago